Sunday, December 23, 2007

Pan de Polvo

I can't say that I have ever been crazy about Pan de Polvo, aka Mexican shortbread or Mexican wedding cookie. But my mother was proud of her recipe and made it for every special occasion, from faculty parties to the time I was bullied into bringing food to the Junior Prom even though I didn't go.

Recently I came across a weatherbeaten index card on which she had written her recipe. (After doing a search, I discovered that it is practically identical to this one at Cooks.com.)

3 lbs flour
1 1/2 lbs Crisco (by which no doubt she meant shortening)
8 oz sugar
1/2 cup cool cinnamon tea

Mix all ingredients and work into a smooth dough.

Pinch off tiny pieces, roll between palms, and form into tiny rings.

Bake in moderate oven (about 350 degrees) until rings start to brown.

When cool roll in powdered sugar and cinnamon.

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I'll have to give this a try, though I'm a little reluctant to buy Crisco. The recipe I'm familiar with includes flour, butter, honey, and pecans chopped as fine as possible. This mixture is rolled into balls, cooked at a low temperature, then rolled again -- several times -- in sifted powdered sugar.

But I love the idea of using cinnamon tea!

Wild Flora said...

Hi Mary,
Your version of this recipe sounds tastier than mom's, and I'm sure is healthier. Thanks for sharing.
WF